20 August 2011

24.06.11 - MCFC LA



Week 3 saw me asked to be in the office all week, rather than just the three days I was doing as I balanced part-time work in retail with the placement.
Tuesday morning was particular exciting and was the first time a director had given me work to do. As one may expect with a job directly from the companies founder, there was not a lot of time to play with - two hours to be precise. I had been briefed on Monday to go away and research six prospective locations for an A-list party in Los Angeles on behalf of Manchester City as they were competing in a pre-season tournament in the States. I handed in my conclusions on Tuesday and an hour later, was asked if this could be put into a presentation which was then going to be used in a transatlantic conference between MCFC, EttG and the American agency involved.
A graphic designer is usually commissioned to create such pieces of work as they are of the highest standard and this was a valuable and high-profile pitch.
I did a first draft within 45 minutes and took it straight to the director for feedback. I was apprehensive as I had only seen internal presentations and tried to stick to the format I had been exposed to. I was instantly given honest advice and direction to make the work look more aesthetically pleasing and given a colour scheme to work with. I started over and completed the work with minutes before the meeting started. As the document was being made into PDF, I spotted some mistakes and a misplaced picture. It was too late to make amendments but the director looked past these minor mistakes and was pleased with the end result given the turn around time.

Also this week was another company meeting. This time, it included a presentation from a member of staff along with the usual figures, results and predictions. Their topic was photography and I, having recently purchased a DSLR, learnt much about the basic principles and also first hand about their passion and enthusiasm which I could relate to.

I also made a follow up site-visit with another director to the head office of Bench. This was in-part due to a project manager's vacation and the fact it was less than a week away until the event and there had been no proposed budget. What was supposed to be a flying visit turned into a jam packed afternoon of ideas, quotes, and then a whole new set of ideas and quotes - all done whilst pacing around the Bench showroom and always in conversation with at least four people at once.

The end of the week saw much desk work as I had to find saving in the Bench proposal and finalise deliveries for the Jodrell gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment