22 August 2011

24.08.11 - Bang the Drum

Project Assistant

This job is ongoing and has given me much more responsibility in terms of managing the project as a whole and given me a crash course in managing clients expectations.
Recruiting a brass band to play before a football match is not the trickiest of tasks, infact it was mainly done by delegating the sourcing of band members to industry contacts. Finding someone to sing along with the musicians has proved a stumbling block for me for the last fortnight. I am expecting to find someone by the end of the week, and it's about time as I had hoped to fill this position last week in time for the first match at the Etihad Stadium. I hadn't found anyone but tried to reassure the client things would come together as my friends were at the match and I had hoped they would help me out as I pleaded with them to get round the stadium and lend me their voices for half an hour. In the end, they didn't make it round and we entered the stadium without them, meaning the band was relying on surprised fans to join in this new experience. It came together at times but there were largely gawping looks and smiling faces instead of raucous, infectious singing.
I was suitably reminded in the office that I needed to carefully mind how I speak to the client as I can inadvertently raise expectations and point blank sell them something that quite simply did not happen.
I thoroughly relish the opportunity I have with this role and stepping up to this level of responsibility has been insightful, I just hope I do not make any more mistakes of a similar ilk as the possible avenues the project can take are exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment